Our group left Notcutts promptly at 8 a.m. - we are so keen, and headed for the Old Rectory Gardens, Sudborough, arriving at 10 a.m. The property has belonged to Ann and Tony Huntington since 1984 and they greeted us with refreshments and a brief history of the garden. The garden has well-stocked borders throughout most of the year and line sweeping lawns which will take you down to the brook and across a bridge to the shady woodland walk beyond. There is a potager, designed by Rosemary Verey, arranged symmetrically around a rose arbour defined by brick paths and box hedges. The garden also displays a number of planted containers - every container is taken into the poly-tunnel for winter. Some members enjoyed a pleasant picnic in the gardens whilst others frequented the local hostelry.
Our morning visit was to a garden in Old Lakenham. This is a beautiful private garden showing the knowledge and interest of the owner and cared for by one of our members, Mike Newstead. It is very inviting as soon as one enters the gate. The garden runs down to the River Yare and incorporates well-established and interesting planting. There is a serious water feature!
More Articles ...
- Roses at David Austin - Shropshire Trip July 3-5 2010
- A weekend in Shropshire - 3rd to 5th July 2010
- Garden visits
- Plants and Propagating - the Hardy Plant Society
- Weekend in Kent - Doddington Place, near Sittingbourne, Kent - 16 May 2009
- Weekend in Kent - Goodneston Park, near Sandwich, Kent - 16 May 2009
- Weekend in Kent - Bilting House, Ashford, Kent. - 17 May 2009
- 20th Birthday Celebration of the HPS Norfok and Suffolk Group
- How Hill Farm, Ludham, Great Yarmouth
- Oxfordshire Weekend